Our Utah standup paddling representative, John Becker, will be demoing Naish and Jimmy Lewis standup paddle boards at the Ogden Paddle Festival this Saturday, Aug. 23.
Visitors over the age of 6 can learn to paddle a SUP, kayak, row a scull, or cast a fly rod, and can visit vendor booths while listening to live music. The event also features children’s activities, boat races, kayak polo, food and prize drawings. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Utah Rivers Council. Call 801-629-8253 or visit www.ogdencity.com for more information.
|Written by Bryan J. Smith
|Tuesday, 05 August 2008
- August 23 2008
- 10am – 5pm
- Pineview Reservoir, Ogden Valley, Utah
- Flatwater Kayaking Instruction Clinic covering flatwater safety, safety gear, capsize recovery, flatwater paddle technique, boat entry and exit technique. Also covered will be canoe paddling and safety. Canoes and kayaks
- Whitewater Kayaking Gear Instruction Wander over to see what it takes to get into a river. Learn the difference between a ‘play-boat’, a ‘river runner’ and a ‘creeker’. See what kinds of safety equipment, paddles, and protective gear are recommended for your foray’s into the sport of whitewater kayaking. This brief introduction is for you if you’ve ever wondered what you need to go river running.
- Kayak Rolling Instruction Sign up for some hands on experience and instruction on recovering from a capsize while staying in your boat. Don’t let being upsidedown underwater frighten you any more. We’ll put you in a boat and take you step by step through the motions required to get yourself smiley side up again.
- Fly Fishing Instruction Choosing the right leader, fly selection, line mending, and fly delivery, Fly preparation, basic knots, and casting techniques such as roll casting and basic straight tosses.
- Kiteboarding Instruction Kiteboarding instruction, gear overview, and demonstrations.
- Boat Demos Canoes, whitewater kayaks, sit-on-top kayaks, tandem kayaks, recreational boats and touring kayaks available to demo with paid entry.
- Children’s Activities Face painting, crafts, children’s games, and of course the water. Pathways to fishing, kids will learn about fishing and tying knots. We’ll also have a climbing wall. Smokey the Bear will be there.
- Live Music Live music and entertainment provided by Flew the Coop, a mix of blues and rock, and Stampede – old style country music.
- Community Booths Weber Pathways, the Utah Rivers Council, Weber State’s Wilderness Recreation, and other community booths
- Great Food BBQ, Pizza, and Drinks, plenty of water. Bring your family for lunch and activities.
- Prize Drawings Don’t forget to join the prize drawing for great gifts. Gift certificates at local restaurants, sporting equipment, sunglasses, safety equipment, thule kayak rack and more.
- Kayak Polo Ever wonder what kayakers do when the rivers aren’t flowing and the lakes are frozen? This fun activity is like soccer in a kayak. Two teams pass the ball around and try to score goals against their opponents. It can get a little bumpy but we’ll have helmets for you to use. Give it a try; Ogden runs a winter-long kayak polo game in the pool during the off season. There is no better way to hone your paddle skills and have a good time.
Kayak Races Friendly races for all skill levels and ages.